Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Blog post 3

Peer Editing

Did the student identify the main thesis (argument)?
Did the student correctly identify the major points made in making the argument for the thesis?
Did the student clearly state his or her position on the argument?
Did the student clearly identify the major points supporting their position?
Did the student meet the requirements of quality writing (spelling, punctuation, word choice)?


These are questions stated in the assignment we should ask ourselves when reading materials to peer review. I like these questions because by asking ourselves them we can identify errors that should be suggested to our peer for correction.



After watching and reading the required materials on peer editing I learned how to write a quality peer review. I learned many useful tips and information. In the video What is a peer review? I was taught you should always look out for grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. I also learned that a peer is someone around your age. Editing is making suggestions or corrections about their work in order to improve their writing. This was taught by Peer Edit with Perfection! Tutorial .

Helping a peer to improve, revise, and edit his or her writing is helpful for you and the student you are peer reviewing. The tutorial on peer editing says there are three steps. The first step is compliment, the second step is give suggestions and the third step is give corrections. The tutorial also states to always stay positive when reviewing a peer's work. Writing Peer Reviews Top 10 Mistakes shows the wrong ways to critique a peers paper. It teaches that you should never be too picky, mean, uninterested, bossy or social with others around you when peer editing. From these videos and tutorials I learned to stay positive when giving a peer review and not to only point out what the person did wrong, but to give them compliments too. When doing a peer review from now on I will point out the high points in the material I am reviewing, as well as some changes that may improve my peers work thanks to the videos and tutorials I watched.

7 comments:

  1. Although you summarized the three presentations on peer editing, I do not think you added enough information about peer editing relation to you. How did you peer edit before? Did you compliment and correct, but did not suggest? What about the other way around. I think when you learn something, you obtain knowledge you did not already know. Maybe you learned to compliment and suggest, but you already knew that you should correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. I do need to add more about what I have learned from the videos and tutorials. I will revise my blog and do so. I learning to be positive in my peer reviews and not only point out what the person did wrong.

      Delete
    2. I'm learning to stay more positive when peer editing too. I enjoy making people smile, which is easy in person. But whenever I am peer editing on a computer screen, I sometimes forget there is someone else on the other end of my computer and what I say could make an opposite impact on someone. So my personal goal is to put or keep a smile on the other person's face whenever they read my comments/suggestions.

      Delete
  2. Paula Lu raises some important questions in her comment. What is your response?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kaitlyn! I think one of the most important things in peer editing is to remain positive. Our goal in peer editing isn't to make our peers feel bad. It's to help them improve their writing.

    I agree with Paula. I think you could have written more on what you learned from this assignment and how all of that applies to you and your future career as a teacher. I also think you should have talked a little bit more on each individual video and slideshow. That way, when other people read your blog, they can understand what you're talking about a little better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. Helping other with their writing can also be beneficial to you as well.The only thing that I would suggest to you in this blog is to try to make it a little longer by going into details and giving more of your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone else's comments about staying positive. The best way to help someone is to be as positive as you can be. Don't be afraid to give a little more of your opinion. That is the only thing that I would suggest about this blog post. It is well written.

    ReplyDelete