Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Blog Post 5

Podcasts

I think podcasts can play an important and helpful role in the classroom as shown in Langwitches Blog. She used her students to make a podcast that they were very engaged in and excited to be a part of. They wanted to re-record their voices until they were "just right". This got them to understand the book they were reading in a different way. After the podcast was done they printed out what the children had recorded so they could visually follow along. A podcast is a multimedia digital file that is available for download via the internet. Podcasts can be used outside the classroom also. Teachers can record themselves and have students watch the podcast from home for homework or for extra help on difficult concepts. Podcasts are a way of project based learning. In The Benefits of Podcasts in the Classroom there are many benefits listed. Some of these include helping with distant learning for sick or absent students and that parents can hear and see what students are learning in school. In Podcasting with First Grade she says even the first grade students are enthusiastic and eager to learn and podcast. This makes me excited to try this in my own first or second grade classroom in the future. I plan to utilize podcasting and see how it can benefit my own students of the future.

children podcasting

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I think podcast can play an important and helpful role in the classroom too. I did not know that podcast could teach students so many skills. I think all the skills that they are learning will be useful in the future. The skills that they are obtaining should be a requirement for everyone to know, children and adults. I wish I had learned some of these skills when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear that you intend to have your students podcast. I hope you follow through on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Podcast can teach student many skills.I think that all future teachers should learn to use it so that they can use it in their future classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that podcast are important and helpful for students. It is important to know how to communicate properly with people in your classroom and all around the world. Podcasts allow students to experience both.

    ReplyDelete