Sunday, June 9, 2013

C4T #1

Adventures in Pencil Integration Blog by John Spencer

Pencil Quests

In Mr. Spencer's blog about pencil quests, pencil quests are when you go site to site, then read a page and answer questions about the page. He then says how his students love project based learning and pen pals. He enjoys using a actual pencil and paper. I like the idea of utilizing project based learning in the classroom to keep students engaged. I never experienced pencil quests but they sound like a good way to teach students.

Mr. Spencer, My name is Kaitlyn Parker. I am a student at the University of South Alabama. For my EDM 310 class I have been assigned to your blog to read and comment on your posts and then summarize them for my personal blog. If you would like to visit my blog the website is http://parkerkaitlynedm310.blogspot.com/.

I think pencil quests sound interesting and a great way to engage your students. I have never experienced pencil quests in school but I imagine many students would benefit and enjoy this way of learning. I hope when I am a educator I can utilize unique ways such as pencil quests to encourage my students to want to learn.
-Kaitlyn Parker



The Con Academy

The Con Academy blog post was about a conversation he had with the principal of his school he teaches at and a guest. The principal introduces the idea of a version of "flipping the classroom" where you give students worksheets. The students then work at their own pace and level and complete the worksheets that they choose.   Mr. Strange does not agree with what they are suggesting. He believes it would be easiest for students to use paper and pencil for essays or math problems instead. I understand why he does not want to change his teaching ways. Change can be scary for some because they do not want to leave their comfort zone.

Mr. Spencer,
I understand why you were not too open about using the new program the school wanted you too. It sounded a lot like busy work and may not work for all students. Not all students will work on their own and complete worksheet after worksheet. As a teacher you know that not all students work or learn at the same pace and that they are not all on the same level. This is different then the other versions of "flipping a classroom" I have seen and I think others should question if this is good for the students or not. 

 Sincerely,
Kaitlyn Parker
parkerkaitlynedm310@blogger.com

2 comments:

  1. Good job Kaitlyn. Well done!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  2. " Mr. Strange does not agree with what they are suggesting." i think you mean Mr. Spencer.

    "...the school wanted you too." to, not too He will see this mistake of yours. Proofread comments as well as your posts.

    Pencils is a metaphor for computers.

    Con Academy is a metaphor for Kahn Academy. If you do not know about the Kahn Academy you should look it up.

    ReplyDelete