Sunday, July 21, 2013

Blog Post #16

Final Reflection

elementary classroom My dream classroom that I wrote about in blog post #1 and my dream classroom now are still very similar, but differ in a few ways. I still want to use SMART boards and iPads but now I would also like to incorporate blogging, Skype, and podcasts into my classroom. These were things that I did not know existed at the time when I wrote my first blog post. I have now learned about many other types of technology that are used in classrooms today; even elementary classrooms. At the beginning of this course I did not know that elementary students had or knew how to use so much technology. It amazed me! I want to use technology in my classroom to help my students grow and learn. I also want to use Project Based Learning or PBL in my classroom. Throughout my EDM310 semester I have realized the importance of Project Based Learning and how greatly it can impact a students learning. I think PBL is great for students of all ages but especially good for elementary students. It is a great way to keep young students engaged and interested in school and the lesson being taught. With PBL students learn the lesson from the project instead of learning a lesson and then doing a project or test at the end. I also want to try out flipping the classroom and see how that works for me and my students.

In my classroom of second graders, I want to have a class blog where students and parents can find out information. I want each student to have an individual blog. I want my students to blog and write posts so they can have people all around the world comment on their posts. I also want my students to see other teachers and students blogs and to comment on their blog posts. I want my students to learn to podcast and make videos. I want them to use iPads and Macs to do projects and edit videos. I also want to try out icurio and Discovery Ed and see how they help me moderate the websites my young students can visit. I think this is really important. I want to use the technology to my advantage to help my students learn above their potential. I also will use it to teach my students how to work with others. I will have them do podcasts and other projects together using the technology. I still want my students to be able to work individually and with a group or partner. I think knowing how to learn and complete projects in both ways is important. I still want my classroom to be colorful, inviting, and exciting to be in. I think more classrooms, especially ones in upper level grades, need to be more colorful and decorative. I think having a colorful learning environment encourages learning more than one with plain white walls. I think Project Based Learning is the new and best way for students to learn. I believe with the use of technology my students can learn the common core standards required for their grade in a whole new engaging way!



I had so much to say about EDM310 and what it has taught me that I had to edit and remove about 30 seconds of video to meet the 5 minute time limit!

1 comment:

  1. None of will ever know it all!

    How cool would an overhead projector be today? Cool 12 years ago...but today?

    How do I evaluate you with no tests? What data do I have? A lot! Sixteen blog posts, 16 projects, 4 classroom discussions, 2 responses to questionnaires from members of your group, observation in class and the Lab by lab professional and by me, presentations (prepared and spontaneous), at least 20 comments on the blogs of others (students and teachers), a video reflection and three questionnaires. I have more data than any other teacher you will have at South. And not a single test!

    Exceptionally well organized and delivered. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete